National Election Surveys
The Norwegian Election Research Programme was launched in the middle of the 1950's. The programme cooperated with Norsk Gallup Institute A/S for sample survey data collection in the election studies covering the Storting elections in 1957, 1965, 1969 and 1973. Since 1977 the programme has cooperated with Statistics Norway (SSB) for the data collection for these studies. The election studies are intended to give statistical data for research covering elections and political processes in Norway.
Election Surveys among immigrants
In 1979 citizens of other Nordic countries who had lived in Norway for at least three years, was granted the right to vote in local elections. In 1983 all foreign citizens was given the same right to vote in local elections. In order to vote one has to be at least 18 years old and a resident in Norway for at least three consecutive years prior to election day. The right to vote only applies for local elections and not Storting elections. Statistics Norway has conducted surveys among foreign citizens with voting rights.
Local Election Surveys
The purpose of the surveys was to study different sides of the local democracy; elections and election campaigns, political interest and participation.
All datasets in this series are available for online analysis.
Data is also available to dowload through data order, without charge.
Local Election Survey 2015 can be made available as indirectly identifiable personal data for institutions with the required permits who collaborated on the project.
All datasets can be converted to SPSS, Stata or SAS. Please contact us for other formats.
How to apply for data?
The applicant must fill out and submit our order form in order to apply for data (remember to provide complete name of the survey you want to order).
Once the application has been processed the applicant will receive a confidentiality agreement to be signed and returned in order to gain access to datasets. Student applicants will also receive a supervisor’s declaration that must be signed by their supervisor.
- The data may only be used for the project described in the application. If the applicant wishes to use the data for other purposes, one must reapply for access
- Access to the datasets is restricted to the applicants only. All project collaborators with direct access to the datasets must sign a confidentiality agreement to use the data.
- Applicants are obliged to refer to the producer and distributor of the datasets
- Applicants are required to submit an electronic copy (PDF) of any publications that has been based on the datasets. The publications will be referred to on our website
- All data must be deleted or returned to NSD within two years after the delivery date. In order to extend access the applicant must reapply.
Politics, Election Survey, Statistics Norway(SSB), Statistics, Stortingsvalg 2013, Municipal election